Wednesday 19 February 2014

Cascade Skirt: a cape for your bottom

My delightful sister gifted me the Megan Nielsen Cascade Skirt as a Valentines day/time off work present. She bought the paper pattern from Indie Stitches (because I keep harping on about them!). Valentines afternoon I went to Darn Cheap and found this floaty slippery soft pinkish fabric with blue 80's inspired splotches and lines. Perfect for the Cascade Skirt AND a contribution to Blue February

Megan Nielsen Cascade Skirt

I set to work tracing the pattern at social sewing which took all of ten minutes. There are only three pattern pieces! But, the skirt pieces are huge and took up a good 3m of fabric. I cut a medium with the extra long waist ties. 

Megan Nielsen Cascade Skirt

From cutting out the fabric to completing the skirt the project only took a couple of hours. But I spent a good hour or two in between figuring out how to use my rolled hem foot and procrastinating. The very kind Renee photographed and emailed me some instructions, what a gem! Using this special foot was such a time saver, but my fabric was pretty slippery and I need practice so my hem is far from perfect. Otherwise, the skirt was a breeze to put together. I made up the pattern as instructed.

Megan Nielsen Cascade Skirt

I've been wanting to make this skirt for a while but it is quite different to my usual style (or lack there of). Not to mention the fabric is pretty out there. I was stoked when I realised that my skirt goes perfectly (imo) with my favorite brown strapy wedges. I will be entering this little skirt/shoe combo in the Project Sewn 'If the shoe fits' sew-along challenge

Megan Nielsen Cascade Skirt

The skirt is SO fun to wear! It is so full and floaty. Tim was rather amused at me running around our unit last night looking back at my skirt tail floating around like a cape. I declared this skirt a cape for my butt.

Megan Nielsen Cascade Skirt

I'll be sure to make this skirt again. Next time I'll modify the length to be shorter in the back for a less dramatic cape-like skirt. Okay, one more photo of the shoe-skirt combo.

Megan Nielsen Cascade Skirt

9 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! I think this fabric is perfect for this design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail. Yes, I bought it on a bit of a whim and it turned out really well.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! Great fabric/design combination.
    Now I want to make a cascade skirt as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Everyone's versions look so different! I really like the less dramatic versions as well. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I love this! You look great in your outfit and the skirt is such an interesting design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Both this pattern and the Tania culottes by Megan Nielsen really incorporate and make use of drape and bias cut fabric. I think its quite flattering. thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. that is really fun! My boys would be jealous that your bum has a cape!
    Kristi - kopykat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi! Yes I can imagine they would be hehe. Who wouldn't be jealous ;)

      Delete
  5. Great work. It looks lovely and yes it does match your shoes perfectly!

    ReplyDelete