Monday 21 April 2014

Sew Cheap April Free Pattern Review: Wrap Around Dress

Right off the bat, this is my favourite Sew Cheap monthly make yet!

Peppermint Wrap Around Dress

April was getting away from me and all my planned free pattern makes just weren't inspiring me. Then I found this amazing dress! My April Sew Cheap Free Pattern make and review is the Peppermint Wrap and Roll Dress. This dress is described as a light weight woven wrap dress perfect for summer. The dress is designed to be fully lined or even reversible. The armholes, bodice and skirt opening are finishing with bias binding and the dress closes with button across the front. See below the dress photo from Peppermint website.

Peppermint Wrap Around Dress
(Source)
The dress comes with a bodice pattern and measurements to cut the skirt (e.g. 3 rectangles). Unfortunately there are only three sizes available (Aus 8,10,12). There is no size guide on the website so I had to take a gamble. In the bodice I can range anywhere from any Aussie 8 to 12 but decided to go with the 12 as it's easier to size down than up once cut. The fit is actually pretty spot on. The only adjustment I made was to take up the shoulder seams 1/4". This improved the dart height and waist length on me but made the arm holes a little high. There is also a bit of excess fabric at the lower back. But neither of these issues are bothering me. 

Button down Wrap Around Dress

As there was no size guide and I couldn't find any online reviews I didn't want to make the dress out of any precious fabric and I still had 4 meters of the floral I used for my Emery Dress Skirt hack. I used yellow bias binding I picked up from an opshop (took about 4m) and a selection of non-matching plastic two holes buttons that looked cute together (also from an opshop). I decided not to line this dress, or make it reversible. It seemed unnecessary.  So, all up this dress probably cost around $5. 

Button down Wrap Around Dress

The dress came together from start to finish in about 4 hours. The most time consuming part was the bias binding. It is an incredibly easy make if you are comfortable sewing button holes (Tip: interface under where you'll place the button holes if using light weight fabric). If you don't make your dress reversible than you only need 7 button holes/buttons: 6 down the diagonal front and one on the opposite waist. the instructions recommended 14 if making reversible. The right front bodice and skirt wraps fully over the left. 

Button down Wrap Around Dress

While I found the dress a really easy make, the instructions are incredibly brief. If I was following them word for word I probably would have been a little confused. Thankfully the pattern is quite intuitive. If you have made a dress before, can sew buttonholes, darts, and bias binding, well you'll know how to make this dress! The only troublesome component might be figuring out your size, or potentially grading up. 

Button down Wrap Around Dress

I absolutely love how this dress turned out! I'm so sad it wont get much wear during winter. But, I love that I've found a fun new dress pattern. I think I'll make a winter version out of a bold navy, black or grey with fun contrasting binding and buttons to layer over tights and long sleeve tops. So what do you think? Would you give this pattern a go? 

Button down Wrap Around Dress

If you like this post, check out my Sew Cheap: Top Tips Sew Cheap: Free Patterns and previous Sew Cheap posts. 

10 comments:

  1. Now this is one cute dress!. I think you could make it work for winter as you say, layered up with tights and a cardi. The buttons and binding could provide some interesting options. I love Peppermint mags patterns, but yet to try one. I am eyeing off the tasselled jacket now we are coming into cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lexi. The tasseled cape is super cute. I'd live to see it made up. Thanks for your kind words :)

      Delete
  2. I love this series you have going. I have a Pinterest boards full of free patterns but I sew so slowly that I can barely make the things that sit on the top of my list let alone all the rest of the ideas I have in my head. I shall live vicariously through you as you churn through patterns. This dress is great and a winter version would look fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad your enjoying it and you don't think me a tight ass hehe. I've actually really enjoyed challenging myself to one free pattern every month. It reminds me how little you need to spend to sew something great.

      Delete
  3. Very cute and fits you very well!!
    Ahhhh I have to sew something!!! Someone PLEASE trace out the Flora for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Neeno, sounds like you've been busy. I'll be back into work and studies hard core as of Monday so I'll be sewing less too. Really not looking forward to it. Goodluck tracing that pattern.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for your review! I came across this pattern on Pinterest and you are the only blogger I could find who has made it. Your dress is beautiful! I'm thinking of making a warm version as well so I would love to see your winter interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. So glad it's helpful and timely for you. Hopefully I'll get a chance to make a winter version soon :)

      Delete
  5. I love pretty much everything about this dress, it is so cute and pretty and practical!

    This series of sewing cheap is utterly brilliant. Such a good way to stretch the pennies further and still be so very well dressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Susan! I'm so enjoying my Sew Cheap challenges. It's a great reminder of how little you need to spend to sew something wonderful!

      Delete