Wednesday 21 May 2014

Papercut Patterns: Coppelia Cardigan

I'm still riding the knits wave, and I'm loving it more and more! A noticeable gap in my wardrobe (me-made or bought) is cardigans and jumpers. I've been eyeing off Papercut Patterns Coppelia Cardigan and Ensis Tee for ages and then the stars aligned. Papercut Patterns released a PDF version of the Coppelia Cardy, meaning I didn't have to wait for the posty and the pattern was considerably cheaper! In addition, The Fabric Store had a massive $20 Merino wool sale; I bought 7 metres. I also splurged and bought the Ensis Tee pattern in store so I didn't have to wait for the posty to deliver from NZ. It was also $1 cheaper  in store and I needed all the help I could get after buying 7 metres of Merino.

Coppelia Cardigan

I got straight into making a Coppelia cardy (version 1) from a light pink light weight Merino. Many have mentioned the looser fit of Papercut Patterns so I erred on the side of tight. I graded between and XS at the chest and shoulders and a S at the waist.

Coppelia Cardigan

There really isn't much to say about this make, the cardy came together incredibly quickly and without issue. I sewed all seams using my overlocker except for some top stitching on the bottom wrap tie. The instructions are spot on and the diagrams perfect. My experience of sewing with Papercut Patterns here and with my Rigel Bomber Jackets (1, 2) has been lovely. I cant recommended these patterns enough and I can't wait to get my hands on more of them.

Coppelia Cardigan

I love how my cardy turned out. It's perfect for wearing with my fit and flare dresses and high waisted skirts. Also, I think the fit is absolutely spot on! It's also incredibly warm, soft and comfortable. What more could you ask for?

Coppelia Cardigan

Pappercut have also just revised the pattern to include a second variation which is a longer jumper with a faux front wrap. I cant wait to dip into my Merino again to make up this jumper version along with a few Ensis Tee's. I'll be back with more knit makes soon. I  have a few woven plans as well, but the satisfaction you get from a quick knit make is winning me over at the moment. Not to mention the gaps these makes are filling in my wardrobe.  Is anyone else going on a knit bender?

Coppelia Cardigan

                 

22 comments:

  1. Pretty! It's like a ballerina top :) I'm so glad you have made this as I've also been eyeing up the coppelia, especially since the pattern revision and new photoshoot. It looks lovely in the merino and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of your knot projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel a bit like a ballerina today haha!
      thanks so much :)

      Delete
  2. It's. just so pretty! And looks lovely and warm. I haven't sewn with knits for years and years but the last few weeks I've been dreaming in knits! Want to sew all the knits ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lets sew all the knits together ;)

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to make this pattern too, now torn between the original wrap or the new modified pullover ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I WAS on a knit bender til my overlocker pooped its pants. Now I'm not sewing anything as I've totally lost my sewjo. And look at you making non-floral stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no! So sorry to hear that! You'll get back on the Sewjo band wagon soon I hope. I know! I'm all about floral wovens and bold knits.. weird!

      Delete
  5. You've picked a lovely colour to fill your winter wardobe with. It's very flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I love the colour! but I think I'd love this cardy in every colour!!

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely wrap card … I have been eyeing this one up for ages and am really tempted now I've seen your shell pink version. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I can't recommend the pattern enough!!

      Delete
  7. Sweet cardigan, love the colour of that Merino! I haven't tried Papercut before, this is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Definitely give papercut a go!

      Delete
  8. Love it ! The essential ballet wrap ... looks so comfortable and flattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sasha, It really is super comfy

      Delete
  9. Wow, gorgeous Liz! I love the look of this pattern, and in merino, how snug and stylish at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee! You summed it up. Its super snug and comfy but feels so pretty as well

      Delete
  10. Oh, wow! Really love this. Never tried knits or Papercut patterns. Do you think you could make this up without an over locker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely could sew this with your sewing machine only. The instructions are oriented towards a sewing machine rather than an overlocker too.

      Delete
  11. The classic pink ballet cardigan! So lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I love how it turned out :)

      Delete