Tuesday 24 June 2014

Outfitted In Knits: Moneta & Coppelia

When Colette Patterns released new knit patterns I thought they were lovely, but not for me. I have the Teach Me Fashion Draped Skirt (see here) which is easily modifiable, so no need for Mabel. The Moneta is a pretty, gathered skirt and fitted bodice, knit dress with some really cute collar options. I didn't jump on it either. I don't find knit dresses flattering on me (also the reason I haven't bought any other knit dress patterns). But the blogging world wore me down. There are only so many amazing Moneta's on women of all different shapes and sizes you can see before you have to give it a go, no?  I gave in and bought Moneta (and the Negroni shirt, eek!) from Indie Stitches.

Moneta Dress Coppelia Cardy

I bought this blush pink striped Alannah Hill knit from Clear it last week. It is beautiful, but I got it cheap and it's probably a bit pale for me so I was happy to use it for my first Moneta. For my first attempt I decided on Version 1 (lined) but without the pretty collar. The fabric recommendation for the main fabric is 2.5m, but I only bought 1m. It was a very tight squeeze and I had to include a centre back seam in the skirt. But, I made it fit! 

Moneta Dress

The fabric is sheer and very lightweight so lining was a must. I used cream cotton knit. Unfortunately I only had enough to line the bodice. The instruction booklet only explains how to join the bodice to the lining at the neckline for the collared version. Instead, I just sandwiched the two bodice pieces right sides facing and serged around the neckline, turned right sides out and pressed.

Moneta Dress

The instructions for sewing the lining and shell together at the arm holes were different to anything I've ever done before. Because of this I found them a little confusing. Thankfully Colette Patterns have a helpful video tutorial showing the steps clearly. It is a fiddly technique but works fine.

Moneta Dress

I cut a size small grading out to a medium at the waist. I made no fit adjustments on this version. I think the fit is ok. There is some draping at the centre front neckline which I could fold out of the pattern for any future version.While the fit is ok, I don't feel great in this version of Moneta. I will have to make another version in a thicker knit before I rule knit dress out of my wardrobe forever-more. 

Moneta Dress Coppelia Cardy

I recently set aside some sheer black knit for another Papercut patterns Coppelia Cardy. I thought the black wrap cardy would be the perfect accompaniment for Moneta during the winter months. I made this Coppelia exactly the same as my first, except that I cut a straight XS. The fabric is silky soft. Flattering or not, this outfit is darn comfy!

Moneta Dress Coppelia Cardy

I'm really happy with my investment in the slightly more expensive Papercut Patterns. Of the three patterns I own, I've made them all multiple times. The Coppelia and Ensis are great basic knit shapes and their patterns feel really 'me'. I will definitely be buying more and look forward to future pattern releases.

Moneta Dress Coppelia Cardy

10 comments:

  1. I understand your reticence with knit dresses. I'm not convinced they suit me too. I've been gazing at wrap dresses a bit, mostly because of all the bloggers who love them dearly. Have you tried a wrap dress? Could you add skirt panels to the Coppelia cardigan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, wrap knit dresses are so beautiful! I've only made a woven wrap. I'm pretty sure there's a free knit wrap dress floating around I might try. And adapting the coppelia cardy is a great option too!

      Delete
  2. I have the pattern for the Moneta but like you I've been holding off as I don't feel like knit dress are very "me". I might give it a go as I have a feeling it might be a good dress for traveling when the option for wrinkles is very high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a comfy dresS! Perfect for travel!

      Delete
  3. I really love the fabric you chose for it! So so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarai! And thank you for producing such fab patterns :)

      Delete
  4. You might have just sold me on buying from Papercut Patterns. I love it when patterns just come together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant. You are going to love them!

      Delete
  5. This is really pretty, but I agree this knit might be a pinch too thin. I'm sure in a thicker knit you might like it better. I've done the same thing before - I made a Coco top in a thin knit and hated it, but loved it in something more sturdy. I agree Papercut Patterns are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Heather! I think I'll still get some wear out of over tights. Need to try a thicker knit soon.

      Delete