Saturday 14 June 2014

Sew Cheap June Free Pattern Review: Scarf Neck Cardy

This month my Sew Cheap free pattern make and review is a simple one: the Swoon Sewing Pattern Scarf Neck Cardigan for women. This is a four piece swing front knit cardigan with a scarf neck and angled hem line. There is a womens version (sizes s-xxl) and also a girls version (sizes 3-10). This makes for fantastic matchy matchy potential for some mummas and daughters out there. 


Swoon Scarf Neck Cardigan

Thanks to Oanh for drawing my attention to this freebie the week before Sewaway. I quickly put the PDF together (32 pages including instructions) thinking it might be a nice easy make to take with me for a weekend away sewing. It was to be after I found this speckled beige t-shirt knit at spotlight on sale for $3/metre. The fabric has poor recovery so it's ideal for a loose fitting cardigan (compared to leggings or a wrap cardigan for example). 

Swoon Scarf Neck Cardigan

I cut a size medium based on my waist  measurement thinking I'd like the cardy to be roomy. After finishing my round trip jacket I was keen to get into an easy make. Unfortunately, I only cut and packed one sleeve for the cardigan so it was left unfinished until I got home. Aside from this, the cardigan is a very easy make, especially if you have an overlocker. If you're like me then you might think your cardy looks more like a one armed poncho half way through sewing- I promise this is normal (well, not the one armed part). You just need attach the front collar to the back piece at the neckline. The front collar, hem and sleeves are all hemmed by simply turning over and stitching with a stretch stitch or zigzag.

Swoon Scarf Neck Cardigan

The instructions are brief but include a couple of diagrams to help you out. For those who don't have an overlocker there are also instructions included on french seaming. I've never french seamed a knit before. If I didn't have an overlocker I'd probably just sew the cardigan using the 3/8"S/A with a stretch stitch. This project is totally beginner friendly, especially as the final product is a reasonably loose fitting garment so fitting and choosing an appropriate knit fabric are not that important.  

Swoon Scarf Neck Cardigan

I made no changes to the pattern, or during construction. The fit is spot on, I think. It is roomy, but I like to be able to layer up singlets, long sleeves and cardy's in winter. The smallest size is a small and I think an XS lady might find it a little too roomy. I will absolutely make more versions. A black merino version is most definitely on my 'to sew' list. 

Swoon Scarf Neck Cardigan

This is a cardigan that fits effortlessly into my wardrobe, particularly my weekend wardrobe. Tim took these photo's out in south Melbourne today where we stuffed ourselves silly with what Tim thinks (and I don't disagree) is the best burger in Melb. I'm looking a little disheveled from the cold breeze but I'm counting myself lucky that I wasn't covered in mustard or burger grease. 


Swoon Scarf Neck Cardigan

If you like this post, check out my Sew Cheap: Top Tips Sew Cheap: Free Patterns and previous Sew Cheap posts. 

20 comments:

  1. What a great pattern....and I can't believe it's a freebie! I think I'm going to make this in a wool knit I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give it a go Mel. It's very forgiving so you shouldn't have any fit issues :)

      Delete
  2. Nice make! And I love that scarf. Perfect for the horrendous weather we've been having lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Siobhan! It's really winter now!

      Delete
  3. Hi Elisabeth! This cardigan looks really good on you I can’t belive it’s free.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great freebie, isn't it! Definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for bringing this pattern to my attention - I'll be making this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a good basic - look forward to seeing your version!

      Delete
  5. It looks great, nice and warm for in the office without being restrictive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a great work cardy, especially in darker shades and some lush wool knit.

      Delete
  6. Awesome cardi! I just finished making a Julia Cardigan last week and am keen for more cardis now the weather is cool. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nat, definitely recommend giving it a shot.

      Delete
  7. Great cardi. I've never heard of this pattern but it looks like an absolute winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a winner! Wore it two days in a row and was snug as bug.

      Delete
  8. This is great, if only I had a printer I'd already be printing this out. This really looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Is it worth a quick trip to an officeworks/print shop?

      Delete
  9. I really like this cardi! I need some toppers in my wardrobe, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Good luck making your version :)

      Delete
  10. hello! I'm Valeria. I really like your blog and your style ..
    I really liked this cardigan so I'm doing one for me but in black. thanks for showing it suits you very well ..
    Kisses from Uruguay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valeria,
      Thank you for your kind words! I want one in black as well. Goodluck with your version :)

      Delete