Wednesday 12 November 2014

Tessuti Alice Top

When the Alice Top / Dress pattern was released by Tessuti I knew a) it was lovely; b) the dress wouldn't be flattering on me, but the top had potential; c) it would be a great pattern for the copious amounts of eating bound to happen over the Christmas period. After seeing Rachel's beautiful version(s) I bought the pattern.


I picked up this stunning floral linen cotton remnant from The Fabric Store immediately thinking it was a match made in heaven. I used left over lime linen for the yoke and sleeve linings. Note,  many Tessuti Patterns include pattern pieces for Tearaway Vilene to be used at necklines or curved edges to prevent stretch the fabric. I just stay-stitch instead. As recommended in the instructions I interfaced my sleeves for some extra stiffness. 




I bought the PDF pattern, printed it off and started sticking. I knew that I wasn't going to be making the dress version so I was a bit peeved that I didn't know which pages to print and which I could avoid printing to save paper, ink, time. For those interested, my recommendation is to print the following pages if you only want the top pattern: 2,3,8,9,24,25,30,31, 33-50. If making the dress its probabaly easier to just go ahead and print out the whole file. If you also wish to cut a tearaway Vilene pieces then print pages 23-24 for size XS-S, p4 for XL or p10 for M-L. I know that sounds super complex but I'll definitely be doing this if I need to print out another size.


I find Tessuti patterns to be on the larger size, as confirmed by Rachel's experience with the Alice pattern, so I cut an XS despite my chest measurement falling between XS and S. The top was also very long, more like tunic length. I cut 2" off the hem, turned under 1" and then turned under another 1.5" (4.5" total). Some may like it longer, but I think the width of the top needs to be toned down by a short hem line.



The instructions were well detailed and the top came together easily. The fabric is incredibly bright and fun. The fit is pretty spot on and I really like the outcome, but I'm not sure that this style is a flattering look on me. I'm glad I gave it a try, and I can see myself throwing this top on in summer, but I probably wont make more for myself, at least not in linen. Perhaps a drapy-er fabric might crate a different look? I can definitely see this shape working on some family members so there's no doubt in my mind that the pattern will get used again, even if not for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment